Friday 3 July 2015

Feminism



Since this is SUCH a heated debate recently, with twitter wars with #killallmen extremist hashtags and #killallfeminists replies of (understandibly) angry and frustrated men, I thought I might as well be just one more person talking about this online and write a post on it to let you know some of my thoughts on the matter. 
Being a feminist, I spent a lot of time masking the term of how I felt about simply supporting women’s rights and opportunities. I wouldn’t tell people I’m a feminist.  The connotation of the word has grown into something ugly – something I needed to stop being afraid of and bring back the good of why I’m glad to actually be a feminist in the first place.
So I found a blog post a great opportunity to actually do away with some of the stereotypes me and all the other 'non-extrimist' feminists face, so here is what I am not:


  • A man-hater.  I love men and have fantastic male friends and family. I have also encountered some really inspiring, decent men who think the way I do without labels.  To simply hate a man because he’s a man is no more outrageous than being a racist or a homophobic. That's just not my style.
  • Defender of all women despite bad behaviour.  I can dislike women, and do not co-sign their bullshit if what they do hurts others.  Woman or not, if they are mean-spirited and go out of their way to sabotage, I have no use for them in my life and will even let them know it.
  • A leach to the men in my life.  Just, no.  I don’t borrow money, and I don’t live off my any man's worth neither is that what I'm intending to do in my future. I highly value a financial independence and I am determined to work for it. If I will marry in the future I will make sure to sign a legal agreement with my husband should something happen to our marriage, that we exit with the belongings we brought in to the marriage and divide what we acquired together.  
  • Masculine.  I’m not. I love to bake and cook and live independently. I don't wish to be anything like a man, and that I could pee standing up. I love to dress up, follow trends and wear make-up and jewelry, do my nails, dust on perfume etc..  Make no mistake, I am truly feminine and do these things without thought or resentment.
  • Unattractive. This is something many men like to imagine when they hear of someone being a feminist. They will immediately assume that person is bitter and frustrated in life because they can't get a man (despite the fact that men as well can be feminists), which then is their explanation for why this person has become a feminist. I personally don't think most former feminists are unattractive and don't think of myself as absolutely horrendous looking (but you can judge for yourself). 
There is no doubt the term feminism has been hijacked to be a platform for women who crave power and feel a sense of entitlement, using figurative demasculinization as a weapon instead of using positivity and problem solving to help women who are seriously being discriminated, hurt, or imprisoned for simply being a woman and doing things that men have traditionally had the freedoms to do (or physically have no connection to such as taking a woman's right away to have an abortion). Many people in the western world believe feminism is an absolutely unnecessary movement especially here, where women and men are already about equal but they often forget that the western world is actually such a big role model to all the developing countries in which equality and women's rights are often still a big issue! 
People are too hung up on petty social customs that etiquette has influenced in our lives that include 'chivalry', manners, and other social expectations that are seen so skewed in women’s favours. This is not what feminism is about.  Feminism isn’t about how angry a woman is that a man opened a door for her.  Feminism is about preventing and supporting the rights women, who are entitled to such things as equal pay for the same job, the right to feel safe (especially in her own home), the right to education, the right to choose what she does with her own body, the opportunity to work in a field of her choice and to work in a safe harassment-free environment.
Those who are bitter about some equality that has progressed to favouritism, citing that it has become unfair towards men with things such as women’s-only fitness centres, or how some court systems favour single mothers over single fathers, you know what? – I’m with you! I am on your side when it comes to these silly rubrics that have seeped into the system to make people believe they don’t have a say and I encourage men and women to stand up to these things, just as I would encourage a woman, who feels her rights are taken away from her, to do so for the former things I mentioned.
Truth is, real feminism isn't evil and created to shame and dominate men although that is unfortunately how many people make it look or interpret it nowadays - It is to create a gender-equality favourably on a global spectrum and I hope that one day we can actually achieve that with not only women speaking up as feminists and a slightly less amount of men who fear they are going to lose their masculinity just because women will be treated equally. 

What are your opinions about modern-day feminism? 

xx ♡ Micky 


P.S. Thank you so much to all those who wished me better! 
I think it has really worked since I'm already feeling much stronger every day <3 

SHARE:

24 comments

  1. Feminism... one of my favs to talk about haha, when I was at school doing communication and culture there was quite a lot of feminism involved in there (for a good reason). I am in favour of feminism but I think some women take it waaaaay too seriously. Oh and the stereotypes of a feminist are created by men who can't get a woman since they have no respect for them lol, well that's my opinion on it! Nice to see that someone posts about it:)

    KLAUDIA CLARA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you & I totally agree with you - it's sad how those extremist feminists just completely ruin the perception of the initial idea of this movement :/ But thank you for taking the time to read what I've said!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with all of this! I hate the bad stereotyping that feminism can get ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read it all! :)

      Delete
  3. I love your protest about what feminist really means. Inspiring ^__^

    Linxnee-Beauty, Fashion, Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, also for taking the time to actually read what I've said :)

      Delete
  4. This is a an amazing post! People see feminists as so many different things and they're so often misinterpreted and this is a great clarification post.
    ~Kiyomi from kokorosasa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find it sad how those extremist 'feminists' just ruin the general perception of the initial idea of this movement, so all I really want is for people to understand that the actual feminism is not evil and has the purpose to erase all men lol.
      I'm glad you took the time and read what I've said! :)

      Delete
  5. Amazing thanks for sharing

    www.DeluxeFashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great post. I totally agree with all of this! It's so inspiring. :)

    April of: https://beybiapril.wordpress.com
    Instagram: @aprilnunezzz

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi, nice blog, i just followed u via GFC, hope u follow me back
    http://dressedwithimen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, amazing post darling, I totally agree! :D I am in favour of feminism but I don't take it too seriously as some people do...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally sick of people citing a small body of people as the face of any social issue. It really bugs me that how could a small percentage represent the entire population -which in this case is feminism. Then be laughed at when you say, you believe in this cause or be mocked when you're trying to legitimately explain yourself. All in all, I am just tired of being narrow-minded in all spheres, but in particular in this one. Wish people -men in this case- could literally take the stick out their ass, but hey on the bright side you know who not to associate with then.

    Enjoyed the read :).

    ✿ http://www.annebee.net ✿

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I think, I actually asked a question online once why so many men are afraid of feminism and majority of answers I was given were literally saying "I am not afraid of feminism, I just don't think we need it. Men are in power because men are simply better than women." And honestly these kinds of replies were the best proof to me that we do still need feminism!

      Delete
  10. I agree with you on everything Michelle. I do sometimes tell people (if they ask) I'm a feminist and I always add 'that doesn't mean I hate men, that means I just want women to have the same rights as men'. It's never been about that and I hate when people always think this as the only thing what feminism is. I've been lucky to been raised in a free spirited world and that I can have big dreams. I am now a postgraduate student and I thank my parents that they've been able to support me. Hopefully when they're once old, I'll be able to return the favour :) xx Maja
    ❤ http://majasmuffin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello :)
    very interesting post!
    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Read this from start to finish, such a gripping read. Feminism is one of my fave pics and I, just like you, at first was tentative about identifying myself as a feminist. It's definitely important to highish many of the points that you make so eloquently in your post xx

    VanessaVonJames | Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG YES... People made feminism such an ugly thing while it's not! It even made me doubt if I am a feminist.. but when it comes to the reasons you wrote.. I definitely am a feminist.
    Is it okay to quote a few things you said in a post I'm about to do with with a few other bloggers? ( I'll definitely link them back to this post. Let me know hun x
    Jade x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I completely agree with you! It's horrible how some people portray feminism. I just went through a long tumblr page of women against feminism and a lot of the views were these misconstrued ideas that you mentioned, for example, "wanting to be superior" or "wanting to play victim". I even found myself agreeing with some of the things there, but those women would probably assume "feminists" wouldn't. Some claimed to be egalitarian but don't need feminism-isn't that a contradiction in itself? And as if feminists can't be egalitarian as well...And for the women against it, where do you think you'd be right now if it wasn't for feminism?
    Sorry my thoughts are all over the place lol and btw, you're far from horrendous looking!

    xx Evelyn
    fashiontroverts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah.. women against feminism.. I have to say I'm totally with Onision when it comes to those

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAaDqhKXby8

      I think you will love his video to this :)
      And thank you, I'm glad you've liked my post and took the time to read it!

      Delete
  15. I LOVE THIS. There are so many misconceptions about feminism and feminists, it really is ridiculous. Things like this are the education people need!
    Hope you've had a great day,
    Bethany x

    bethanygraceo.blogspot.dk

    Do pop over to my blog, if you fancy of course, and tell me what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  16. MVMT debuts the Minimal fake rolex Sport in at least six styles, and intelligently gives each of the colors its own sexy-sounding name. This is one of the smarter replica rolex things the brand did, having the awareness that each distinct piece needs personality via an actual name, not just letters and numbers. The fake Breitling particular Minimal Sport watch I am wearing is the “Caspian Black,” and others include the “Red Sea, Pacific Mist, Adriatic Black, Baltic fake Omega Blue, and Arctic Ice.”

    ReplyDelete

© Princess.From.Jupiter. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig